Our Mission, Vision and Values
Inspired by God's love, Journey Home Community welcomes refugees into community by offering housing, settlement support, and relational care.
We envision a society where all refugees experience hope and belonging as they engage in meaningful participation in their community and flourish in all aspects of life.
- Christ-centredness: Motivated by God's love and compassion for all, as shown through Jesus Christ, we aim to faithfully live out the Biblical teaching to love our neighbor as ourselves.
- Dignity: Believing that all people are created equal in the image of God, we respect and affirm the inherent dignity and value of each individual, regardless of race, religion, political opinion, sexual orientation, or social group.
- Relational care: Aspiring to foster a space of trust and safety, we invite each person into a community of care, with an emphasis on building relationships and learning from one another.
- Holistic support:Recognizing the importance of caring for the whole person, we strive to provide support for the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of each person.
- Prayer: Rooted in prayerful reflection, we continually seek to cultivate a culture of thoughtfulness, contemplation, and reliance on God.
Background Info on Refugees
There are three ways for refugees to come to Canada:
- Government sponsored – about 7,500 annually,
- Privately sponsored – about 3,000-4,000 annually, and
- Refugees claiming asylum – about 14,000 annually.
BC receives approximately 900 government-sponsored refugees annually of which many settle in Burnaby (top countries of origin are Afghanistan, Sudan, Iran, Colombia, and Indonesia).
Some 1000 refugee claimants arrive in Metro Vancouver annually.
Our Statement of Faith (The Apostles' Creed)
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic (universal) church, the communion of saints
the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.